Friday, February 12, 2010

Impact


I came home one day and my husband started talking about shopping more at Whole Foods. I have always loved Whole Foods. When I was younger, after church on Sundays, my family often "browsed" Whole Foods, smelling all the great and unique coffee beans and other foods. We were told smell but don't touch! We didn't buy anything but I didn't care, I loved it there. For special occasions, now as an adult, I'll try to buy yummy cheeses or meats or fruits and veggies there, and try to keep a poker face when I look at the receipt at the checkout. I have found that one good meal at Whole Foods can easily be half of my entire week's grocery bills shopping somewhere else. So when my husband all of a sudden passionately talked about our "need" to start shopping at Whole Foods more, I thought, "are you serious? I'm finally getting this coupon thing down to a science and keeping our grocery bills down." Then he had me watch the movie, Food Inc.. Enough said, we're shopping at Whole Foods as much as we can now. Our budget is taking a hit, but it's a justice issue for us now; not a matter of "better eating" as much as it is about fair labor laws and treatment of humans and animals alike. Knowing where our food comes from amounts to how we "treat our neighbor as ourselves." And although I can't write off my Whole Foods receipt as a charitable tax deduction; as long as I'm not splurging on the triple layered mouse dessert I feel like our new shopping routine is much less about luxury and more about a sustainable life for all life.

2 comments: