Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Never ending

By the time I got to work I had taken off my boot three times, shaking it out, hoping to get the tiny rock that seemed to be irritating my foot every time I took a step. The third time around I realized the little rock was stuck inside my hose and not just my shoe. I had no interest in taking off my hose, searching for the rock, getting it out and putting the hose all back on, so I decided to make a spiritual practice of it. With the devastation and lack of any comforts in Haiti, I decided that with each step that irritated me feeling this rock in my hose/shoes I would remember the people in Haiti and keep them in prayer. Turns out I prayed for the people of Haiti regularly and throughout the day. By the time I had picked up my daughter and made it home, I was ready to remove every speck of dust, rock and you name it off of my wood floors so I could walk barefoot and not worry about trapping another "rock" the next morning when I got dressed- lest I have to be irritated and prayerful all day long. With my daughter comfy in her wrap close to my chest we set about vacuuming every nook and cranny of the house. When we were done, and the vacuum was back in the closet, as I walked around the house, I came upon more "little rocks" under my feet. And all I could think is that the suffering in our world is never ending. This doesn't mean to never vacuum or pray or try to make a dent in it-- but our attitude towards those in need takes repeated help and more than just a one time fix me up kind of thing. So thankfully without a rock in my shoe today, here's to continued remembering and praying for all those in need, especially the Larson family who you can read about at the following link...

http://www.elca.org/Who-We-Are/Our-Three-Expressions/Churchwide-Organization/Communication-Services/News/Releases.aspx?a=4403

No comments:

Post a Comment